Every year, at this time, my mind starts to drift — to what I’ve done in the past year and what the New Year’s going to look like — and I realise just how crazy the past year has been. There’s been highs, lows, challenges, and adventures, and everything in between, and when you add them all together, this has been the biggest year of my life.
A lot of things happened in 2017 but most significantly, I bagged my PhD…what more can I say? It was a great year and I am entirely grateful.
Here’s how it all started:
January I was in the lowest low of my life. I was down emotionally and physically. The experience was disheartening.
It was like I was going through the motions. I sank deep into depression. I cried most times and was very sad too. I used to ask myself if I would ever be happy again until one day I woke up and I was laughing. This was how I exited this phase.
However, I spent most of the year figuring out how I could never come this low again.
“How did I get here?”
This was the question on my lips for quite some months. As it appeared my life was spiralling down. This question, however, yielded off at the end of the day as I got to reflect on my entire life and finally made some decisions that would change my life forever.
So, I was at rock bottom. And from this point, I started the slow climb up again. I learnt some valuable lessons that I would never have learnt had I not gone into this situation.
I will save you the long stories and cut to the ending:
Somehow I got back to my old self and I was on my feet again. The challenges I faced are more like blessings in disguise now because of the lessons and the revelations that came with them. Above all, they made me “a better me”.
What 2017 taught me:
- Life is precious. No matter your ideas, your agility, your money, your performance is limited when you are sick.
- Resilience. Now I know I can survive any situation anywhere in the world.
- No matter what keep moving. Never be on a spot.
- The universe will come to your aid as soon as you begin to make moves
- You are the sole producer, director and the hero in your life story. Only you have the ability to create the stories you want to be told about you.
- The higher you go, the greater the challenges and the more demands you will meet.
- Dare to dream. Your life turns out to be just how you dreamed it. The way you are today was what you dreamed yesterday. No more no less.
- Nothing defines you. Who you are, emanates from within you.
- Dare to ask for what you want. Rejection is a mere illusion. When you have your goals in front of you ask for anything that will help you in achieving your goals. Like Jack Canfield would say, when you ask there is every probability that you would get what you asked for and if it’s a no, you are still you. You are not worse off than when you asked. And never be too proud to ask.
- Humility! We are human and no matter where you are, things can change and you will be on the opposite side. They can change from your own making or circumstances beyond your control. Therefore, eradicate pride absolutely as you can be up today and down tomorrow. Likewise someone down today can switch to the other side within split seconds.
- Any food you don’t want to eat, don’t share with your teeth. Never! Stay away!
- Taking action opens doors and exposes you to opportunities that you’d possibly never even considered before and can take you to the exact place you’ve been trying to go without you even consciously trying to get there.
- Above all, Appreciation of every moment of every hour of every day. I also learnt to appreciate people more and every kind gesture towards me.
What will 2018 bring?
2018 is going to be an incredible year. The busy vibes are here and I’ve started working on different projects. But very significant, more writing. Also, efforts are in top gear with my partners to see how SR can touch more lives. Writing is a really big thing for me – it not only has a huge impact on one generation but it creates a legacy that transforms the lives of millions of people for years to come. And that’s the ultimate plan.
There are also plans for House of Revicena. You will get to know as they unfold.
What else? I don’t know. It’s hard to predict what other incredible opportunities will appear in 2018, but I’m excited to get stuck in.
If you are at that point where you are asking “why me”; “God why”, “why”, “why”…I’ve got news for you, it will pass; you will be okay. I’ve been there and I came out, you will too. It may not be today, tomorrow, this week, next week or next month, it may not happen when you want, but I guarantee you that, you will get out of it. You will smile again. Just keep taking tiny teeny steps every day and you will see yourself up again.